WHIRL (What Have I Read Lately) Books is a site for readers to find books for themselves and their book clubs. Liz at Literary Masters runs book groups and literary salons where we "dig deep" into literary treasures.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Why I Read, and Why I Talk About What I Read

Jane Brody has an piece in the NY Times about why she exercises.  Perhaps because I am "benched" for the time being--no running for me due to a uncooperative knee--I clicked on the article.  At the end, she sums up her reasons thus:

"It’s how these activities make me feel: more energized, less stressed, more productive, more engaged and, yes, happier — better able to smell the roses and cope with the inevitable frustrations of daily life."

I can relate to this.  But not with regard to exercise.  (I exercise mainly because I love sweets!)  All these exercise benefits that Brody states are what I get from reading, and from discussing with others what I've read.  If you've ever been in a book group, well, if you've ever been in a Literary Masters book group or salon, you know exactly what I mean.  The connection we make--to the book, to each other, to our own, unknown selves--is a forever rejuvenating and rewarding experience.

If you'd like to read Brody's article, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment