WHIRL (What Have I Read Lately) Books is a site for readers to find books for themselves and their book clubs. Liz at Literary Masters runs book groups and literary salons where we "dig deep" into literary treasures.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Goldilocks Dilemma of Reading

I love the online Guardian's book section; there's always something of interest there.  This morning I came across this article/picture gallery of the ten most difficult books to read, chosen by Robert Crum.  I got to thinking...I used to enjoy a "difficult" book much more; I found it challenging and felt very accomplished upon finishing it.  Especially if I had understood it. :-)

Perhaps I read too much now, but lately I get annoyed if I feel a book is difficult just for the sake of being difficult.  Sometimes I'm not in the mood to work that hard.  Yet, if a book is too light or easy, I'm not interested in reading it.  Hmm...the Goldilocks Dilemma of Reading: I have to find a book that's "just right"!

Click here to check out the Guardian piece.  And tell me, what is the most difficult book you've ever read?

No comments:

Post a Comment