WHIRL (What Have I Read Lately) Books is a site for readers to find books for themselves and their book clubs. Liz at Literary Masters runs book groups and literary salons where we "dig deep" into literary treasures.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Jackpot at the Local Library

My brother was aghast when he saw my library book in hand the other day. Said he doesn't like the potential germs, and wasn't I tad nervous about them? On the contrary, I love my local library, and I love the idea of holding and reading the very same book that others have. It somehow satisfies my sense of community, knowing that I am one of many who has participated in the same literary experience. Germs be damned!

And I love buying used books for the same reason. So, when I went to the library the other day and found some real treasures on the shelf of $1 books for sale, I was one happy reader! This is my haul~none of which I have read, all of which I have been wanting to read:

  • The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. Oprah's 2008 Book Club Selection. (I know, I know.) I always thought it would be fun to have a pairing, reading this book and Hamlet and discussing them together.
  • We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Winner of the Orange Prize for Fiction. She has just come out with a new book, so evidently I am behind in my reading.
  • Netherland by Joseph O'Neill. Winner of the Pen/ Faulkner Award. I can't wait to read this one. Lots of good buzz about it, if I recall correctly.
  • Snow by Orhan Pamuk. A Nobel laureate whose work I've yet to read.
  • Lush Life by Richard Price. I remember when this book came out it got a lot of hype, and I heard the author interviewed on NPR. He sounded interesting, and I tucked the title of this book away in the recesses of my mind, promising myself that I must really read it someday...
  • The Anglo Files by Sarah Lyall. An American living in Britain writes a book about it. NOW WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT??????????????????????
  • The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. I've never read her books, deeming them too trashy, but I really liked the movie The Other Boleyn Girl, so hey, why not give this novel about the warring cousins--the Yorks, Lancasters, and Tudors--a try? And I am such a snob! The author has a Ph.D., for goodness sake!
How about you? Have you read any of these novels?

No comments:

Post a Comment