WHIRL (What Have I Read Lately) Books is a site for readers to find books for themselves and their book clubs. Liz at Literary Masters runs book groups and literary salons where we "dig deep" into literary treasures.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Whirl 2

I was on MrsMagooReads today and saw that Mrs. Magoo has been busy whirling! She has four whirls to my, well, this is my second. So, What Have I Read Lately?

A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore. Good, but I had a little problem with how very clever the writing wanted to be. See my earlier post discussing this book.

Playing the Enemy by John Carlin. This is the book that the movie Invictus was based upon--the story of how Nelson Mandela attempted to unite black and white South Africa through the game of rugby. I loved the movie and was so moved by it, I read the book. And I was not disappointed. It's a hagiography, no doubt, but the story is just so compelling and fairy tale-like, I was able to overlook the bias and just roll with the feel good-ness of it all.

What about you? What have you read lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment