WHIRL (What Have I Read Lately) Books is a site for readers to find books for themselves and their book clubs. Liz at Literary Masters runs book groups and literary salons where we "dig deep" into literary treasures.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Orange Prize Short List Announced!

Oh dear.  The short list for the Orange Prize has been announced, and I didn't like three out of the six novels on the list.  You'll recall that my Literary Masters book groups read last year's winner, The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  That was a wonderfully literary novel, which I blogged about here.

This year's short list is as follows:

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht.  Here we go.  I can just see this book sweeping the literary awards, and as you know, it left me...underwhelmed.  I blogged on it here.

Great House by Nicole Krauss.  Ugh.  I blogged about it here.

Room by Emma Donaghue.  I know that I said I wouldn't read this book, but I did.  And I found it creepily compelling for the first half, and then I thought it fell apart in the second half.  Yes, I, like others, found the boy's voice believable and, as I said, compelling, but that wasn't enough to sustain me.

Grace Williams Says It Loud by Emma Henderson.  I haven't read it, but it takes place in an institution for the mentally ill, and is about a relationship between the two patients.

The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna.  I haven't read this either, but it's evidently about the Sierra Leonean civil war.  Or the aftermath.  Or both.  I'm sure I'd learn a lot anyway.  I think I may read this one.

Annabel by Kathleen Winter is about a hermaphrodite whose parents' choice of surgery has massive consequences in the child's life.  I may read this one as well.

One book that did not make the list that I have on my TBR shelf is Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad.

For more on the Orange Prize and its short list, click here.  And let me know what you think--which novel do you feel should win?

No comments:

Post a Comment