WHIRL (What Have I Read Lately) Books is a site for readers to find books for themselves and their book clubs. Liz at Literary Masters runs book groups and literary salons where we "dig deep" into literary treasures.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How Not to Act Old by Pamela Redmond Satran


This book is hilarious! A friend gave it to me recently (hmm...was she hinting at something?) and I have been laughing ever since. Comprised of 185 tips on how not to act old, this little gem was written precisely with me in mind, I am sure. Its aim is for anyone over the advanced and senile age of 40, but I swear, it really was written just for me.

Take, for instance, tip #52: don't yell into your cell phone. How many times have my children accused me of doing just that? Well, every time I'm on my cell phone, actually. And what about tip #32: don't be proud of being befuddled by technology. Right, I'm going to stop referring to myself as a luddite immediately. Just using the word "luddite" is probably old.

As I was gobbling down each tip as if it were a rejuvenating vitamin sure to reverse the decay and decline that has already set in, I kept thinking, yes, that's true, that's right, that's exactly how it is. I must be old!

Satran has a razor sharp eye and wit to go with it, and I thoroughly enjoyed her book. She also has a blog--from which the book was launched--you can access it at www.hownottoactold.com. You can access it? I'm sure there's a younger way to say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment